Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Danger of How before Why.

We live in a modern age of "how to" and believe that with the right answers we can fix anything and master our own realties. Yet oftentimes despite my own efforts, failings, and redoubling of efforts, my experience tells quite a different story. I am far less in control than I want to admit, and my efforts often seem to be like trying to turn the titanic with a rowboat. I wonder why I don't stop rowing and ask if maybe the ship needs to sink. My continual efforts are often directed towards answering the wrong questions, and therefore no right answer to the wrong question will satisfy the deepest desires of my heart for purpose, meaning, and love. And yes, I did just assert that all of our efforts in life are derived at answering those heart questions of meaning, purpose, and love.

Proverbs 19:22-"What a man desires is unfailing love, better to be poor than a liar"

"Taken in isolation, and asked in the right context, all "How" questions are valid. But when they become the primary questions, the controlling questions, the defining questions, they create a world where operational attention drives out the human spirit. Therapist Pittman McGehee states that the opposite of love is not hate, but efficiency. This is the essence of instrumental bias, our bias toward action, control, predictability. While being practical is modern cultures child, it carries a price and we are paying it. The price of practicality is a way of deflecting us from our deeper values." - Peter Block

1 Corinthians 13:1-13

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

"Love is never efficient but always effective" - Randy Draughon

"Authentic transformation requires more time than we ever imagined." - Peter Block

No comments: